On-Street Residential
Charge Point Scheme

The UK government aim to have one of, if not the best, EV infrastructure networks in the world. This means a network for current and future EV drivers that will be affordable, reliable, accessible, and secure.

Typically, electric vehicle home-charging occurs off-street in garages or driveways, however, in significant parts of the UK, off-street parking is unavailable to residents. By installing charge points on-street or in residential car parks, those without off-street parking access will be able to enjoy the convenience and value of charging their EV at home.

The scheme will give local authorities access to grant funding to be used to part-fund the purchase and installation of on-street charge points. Local authorities are encouraged to apply for and take advantage of this funding, whilst available, to aid preparation for the transition towards zero-emission vehicles.

Guidance changes made for 2021/2022 financial year

Adaptations have been introduced to improve scale, flexibility, and access for local authorities in areas of limited capacity.

The maximum fund per charge point has been increased to £13,000 in cases where connection costs are high. It is anticipated that costs will be much lower than this in most cases and funding above £7,500 per unit will be limited to cases where connection costs are particularly high.

There is now no strict maximum or minimum project size, though projects must be able to be delivered within achievable timeframes. Each application will be assessed on a case-by-case basis against the funding and eligibility.
It is expected that projects are to be completed within 6-12 months of the grant award, or sooner for projects with a completion date prior to 31st March 2023. This later date does, however, provide more opportunity for large-scale projects to be delivered.
Local authority-owned car park charge points must be accessible and available to residents for free overnight, between 6pm and 8am, and must have a minimum ‘maximum stay’ of at least 4 hours during the day.

Funding and eligibility 

OZEV will now pay 75% of any successful bid upfront, while the remaining 25% can be claimed on completion of each project. All capital costs associated with the installations must be individually evidenced. If the total project costs come in under the 75% paid in advance, the local authority will be required to reimburse OZEV.[1]


Local authorities must have direct support from their relevant Highways Authority when installing on-street charge points.

If installing in car parks, local authorities must own the land.
Local authorities are responsible for estimating and controlling project costs and delivery.
Charge points must be in residential areas that lack off-street parking and adhere to OZEV technical specifications.

For residents

Only your local authorities are eligible to complete the application for the Residential Charge Point Scheme and we encourage residents who would like a charge point installed to contact their local authority to apply.

If you are interested in an on-street installation, please visit your local authority’s website to register your interest online.

*Please note that local authorities can only install charge points through ORCS on land they own or with permission from the Highways Authority. If you have off-street parking, you can apply to EVHS for a grant to install your own charge point.[2]